About Rich Wood
I’m a B2B CFO Partner with more than 30 years of finance experience.
My experience includes 18 years as a Chief Financial Officer and many years in Controller, Consultant and CPA roles. I have worked in companies of many sizes, from startups through various stages of growth and complexity, up to nearly $1B in sales.
Working in the San Francisco Bay Area, much of my experience has been in technology companies, including providers of hardware, software and related technical services. I have deep experience in software and internet businesses, including enterprise software, SaaS, online marketplaces, development services, mobile apps and e-commerce. I have also served in construction, banking, professional services, manufacturing, wholesale distribution, retail, commercial real estate, transportation and other industries.
As a finance executive, I have helped secure more than $120 million in debt and equity financing, identified and resolved complicated finance and strategic challenges, helped structure and negotiate company-moving strategic deals, managed legal, tax and regulatory aspects of domestic and international expansion, built and improved systems and teams, and assisted M&A transactions. My experience includes leadership of legal, HR, administration, IT and customer service, giving me a broad perspective on most issues I face as a finance executive.
I’m a CPA with “Big 4” experience at Deloitte and my education includes an MBA from UC Berkeley. I am also a Certified Business Transition Expert.
When not working to improve your company, I enjoy reading, sports, cooking, running and camping with my wife and two kids, all of whom I am very proud.
What I do
I provide CFO and business transition services to privately-owned mid-size companies in the San Francisco Bay Area. The goal of CFO services is to help business owners achieve financial success, by improving the performance and value of their companies. Transition services help owners maximize personal financial rewards for the value they have built, while leaving a well-running operation for the next owners of the business and a viable working future for continuing employees.
My services draw on my own 30+ years of financial experience and on numerous tools and methods developed by B2B CFO since it was founded in 1987. I also have access to more than 200 other partners who help each other benefit from our thousands of years of collective experience.
My services aim to increase company value by pursuing the following objectives:
- Raise additional cash when needed from lenders and equity investors.
- Plan and execute ownership transitions that maximize value and minimize surprises for business owners who want to move on to other endeavors.
- Improve cashflow by optimizing pricing, improving billing and collections, and helping to structure deals with customers, distributors and strategic partners.
- Clarify strategic goals and the steps needed to achieve them.
- Control or reduce costs by implementing effective budgetary processes, improving purchasing practices and restructuring supply arrangements.
- Support effective decisions with reliable reports, analyses and forecasts of revenues, costs, cash flows and key performance indicators.
- Protect assets by implementing management controls, appropriate financial investments, and protections of physical and intellectual assets.
- Help navigate transactions and other challenges where an experienced finance professional can help sort out issues, risks and potential solutions.
These are things I think about and work on as a B2B CFO Partner. If your company doesn’t have a CFO-level finance professional, or your team doesn’t have enough time or skills to generate the above benefits, I can help you for a fraction of the cost of hiring a full-time executive. I would love to meet you and discuss how I can help.
UC Berkeley, MBA
UC Santa Barbara, BA, Business Economics
Certificates & Licenses: