About Mike Burgess
Mike Burgess possesses 25-years of senior finance executive leadership experience. His experience includes working with high technology manufacturers in the medical device industry as well as the premium wine industry. Mike has also worked as General Manager for a prominent Sonoma County winery. He started his business career at Coopers & Lybrand in Silicon Valley.
In addition, Mike has been responsible for restructuring the finance and accounting functions after reorganizations. He co-implemented with distribution and production an ERP solution; and spearheaded simplification of financial systems and reporting. During the simplification process, he shortened the accounting close and reduced time to reporting and focused on improving financial analysis by understanding key drivers and motivators. He closed a large Debt Facility optimizing terms and leveraging collateral to position the business for growth and expansion. Mike has also used his many years in manufacturing to carefully leverage inventory by using robust demand planning to support sales and reduce excessive inventory. Mike has worked in profitable companies where reducing taxes have always been extremely important. He has completed 1031 Real Estate Exchanges, Cost Segmentation and R&D tax studies.
Mike is a hands-on pragmatic problem-solver who works hard to move the organization to the next level. He has deep financial leadership working in companies from product development through commercialization. He is also a seasoned early-stage company fundraiser, closing multiple equity rounds and debt financings. His present goal is to continue supporting business owners and helping them reach their goals and furthering the success of their Companies with expert financial advice. He also provides support the business exit strategies.
A few of Mike’s significant accomplishments include:
- Closed multiple equity rounds from a variety of investors including venture capital and strategic totaling $130M
- Completed debt facilities: $25M Venture Debt, $55M Synthetic Royalty, $170M Equipment and Real Estate Term/Working Capital line
- Finalized Strategic and Annual Operating Plans needed for operations, executive performance compensation and financing
- Led European startup activities as an Expat in Germany
- Responsible for Due Diligence, Valuation, Purchase Accounting and Financial Integration involving multiples acquisitions
- Led manufacturing finance function including standard costing, ERP implementation, BOM buildup, demand/resource planning covering multiple manufacturing sites
- Directed corporate treasury function, corporate liaison with investment managers, set up hedging arrangements and accounted for treasury transaction in accordance with GAAP
- Initiated Stock Option Plans (ISO and NQ) which included plan documents, analyzing employer tax consequences, managed employee and broker communications, and equity accounting and reporting. Certified as Equity Professionals Level I
He has an undergraduate degree in Business from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo He also holds an MBA from University of San Francisco where he earned his C.P.A. As well, Mike has been recognized the North Bay Business Journal as an outstanding Chief Financial Officer.
Mike currently lives in Santa Rosa, CA. He has two children that are both attending college in Chico, CA. When he’s not working he is usually hiking the hills behind his home with his German Shepard, Titan.
Masters of Business Administration, UNIVERSITY OF SAN FRANCISCO, San Francisco, CA 2001
B.S. in Business Administration, CALIFORNIA POLYTECHNIC STATE UNIVERSITY, San Luis Obispo, CA 1994
Certificates & Licenses:
Licensed C.P.A (inactive)
Certified Equity Professional – level one
Graduated Summa Cum Laude – Cal Poly