About Mike Burgess
Mike has been responsible for restructuring the finance and accounting functions after a major reorganizations. He co-implemented with distribution and production an ERP solution; and spearheaded simplification of financial systems and reporting. During the simplification process he shortened the accounting close and reduced time to reporting and focused on improving financial analysis by understanding key drivers and motivators. He closed a large Debt Facility optimizing terms and leveraging collateral to position the business for growth and expansion. Mike has also used his many years in manufacturing to carefully leverage inventory by using robust demand planning to support sales and reduce excessive inventory. As inventory was leaned out the extra cash was released elsewhere in the organization and distributed back to the business owner. Mike has worked in profitable companies where reducing taxes have always been extremely important. He has completed 1031 Real Estate Exchanges, Cost Segmentation and R&D tax studies. Many thousands of dollars in reduced taxes have been saved using proven tax strategies.
- Closed multiple equity rounds from a variety of investors including venture capital and strategic totaling $130M
- Completed debt facilities: $25M Venture Debt, $55M Synthetic Royalty, $170M Equipment and Real Estate Term/Working Capital line
- Finalized Strategic and Annual Operating Plans needed for operations, executive performance compensation and financing
- Led European startup activities as an Expat in Germany
- Responsible for Due Diligence, Valuation, Purchase Accounting and Financial Integration involving multiples acquisitions
- Led manufacturing finance function including standard costing, ERP implementation, BOM buildup, demand/resource planning covering multiple manufacturing sites
- Directed corporate treasury function, corporate liaison with investment managers, set up hedging arrangements and accounted for treasury transaction in accordance with GAAP
- Initiated Stock Option Plans (ISO and NQ) which included plan documents, analyzing employer tax consequences, managed employee and broker communications, and equity accounting and reporting. Certified as Equity Professionals Level I
Mike has been recognized in the North Bay as an outstanding CFO by the North Bay Business Journal. He has an undergraduate degree in Business from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, an MBA from University of San Francisco. He started his business career at Coopers & Lybrand in San Jose, CA (Silicon Valley) where he earned his C.P.A.
He currently lives with in Windsor, CA with his wife Rebekah. He has two children that are both attending college in Chico, CA. When he’s not working he is usually hiking the hills behind his home with Rebekah and his German Shepard, Titan.
Masters of Business Administration, UNIVERSITY OF SAN FRANCISCO, San Francisco, CA 2001
B.S. in Business Administration, CALIFORNIA POLYTECHNIC STATE UNIVERSITY, San Luis Obispo, CA 1994
Certificates & Licenses:
Licensed C.P.A (inactive)
Certified Equity Professional – level one
Graduated Summa Cum Laude – Cal Poly